Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

Today, March 2, is the birthday of Dr. Seuss. He was born in 1904, so he'd be 108 years old if he were still around (he died in 1991 and this post is in 2012). To celebrate, the library had a major Dr. Seuss fest for their usual story time.

They read several classics, including The Lorax and Yertle the Turtle. Lucy was pretty naughty during the reading so I had to take her out. Jacob really loved it though. While reading The Cat in the Hat, one librarian handed out finger puppets. Jacob's puppet was the fish in the pot. He liked it a lot. Lucy was out of the room, so she received not.

After story time was done, the kids, some of the adults, and the two librarians sat in a circle to play a game. One librarian explained we'd play "Hat, Hat, Cat" which you might guess is a re-theming of the classic game Duck, Duck, Goose. The other librarian started the game. She went around our circle and tagged one child as "cat." They ran around and the librarian managed to sit down first. That child tagged Lucy, who had a little trouble going around the circle. Lucy tagged me as "cat" and started running away from me. I did my best not to catch her. As we came around, everyone was urging Lucy to sit down but she kept going. On our second lap, we were able to convince Lucy to sit down in my former spot. Jacob piped up that he wanted to play too. I let him tag in for me. He is a seasoned pro at "Duck, Duck, Goose" and performed admirably. The game went on for a few more rounds of fun and frivolity.

After the game, the children sat at the craft table and colored in a picture of the Cat in the Hat on his amazing room cleaning machine. We also received stickers and hats to wear. Lucy did not want to wear her hat. She apparently didn't want a bad hair day. So I wore her hat. The new cell phone needs its lens cleaned, because this picture is the best we took:

Jacob in the Hat, with matching shirt!

At home, I did snap a better shot of all the swag from the library, but alas the children were asleep and I didn't want to wait till after nap time to post. Maybe later we'll see a better shot of Jacob in the hat. I don't hold out much hope for Lucy.

Hats, bookmark, stickers, coloring page

Since it is a Friday in Lent, we can't have green eggs and ham for dinner. They did serve that today at Jacob's preschool as a special breakfast. Jacob only drank the green juice, he did not eat green eggs or ham. He does not like them, Reader-You-Are.

Happy birthday, Dr. Seuss!

UPDATE:

School just sent this photo of Jacob not eating green eggs and ham!

Why not, Jacob? Looks appetizing to me!


1 comment:

  1. Funniest blog post ever! I love being reader-I-am!

    ReplyDelete