Thursday, May 29, 2014

Book Review: Bone: Rose by Jeff Smith

Bone: Rose by Jeff Smith

Bone: Rose is a prequel to the Bone series. It tells the story of two sisters, Briar and Rose, who are princesses and have a prophetic gift. They have a "dreaming eye" that lets them see the future, but not exactly. The younger sister Rose has a dream where she sees a baby dragon calling out for help while trapped in a river. Later on she runs into a full-grown dragon trapped in a river. The older sister has shown no signs of a dreaming eye. The queenship may pass to her younger sister if she does not have the gift. They are sent on a trip to Old Man's Cave, where they will be tested by the wise men there. Along the way Rose releases the dragon from the river. The dragon is possessed by the evil Lord of the Locusts and causes anarchy. Can Rose and Briar put that genie back in the bottle?

The story is very interesting and the art is nice. I do feel like there's a lot of mythology that I'd know more about if I had read the whole Bone series, so I suspect there's a whole other level of appreciation for this book. Even so, I enjoyed it. I may revisit this after I read the other books.

I do have to note that the font and printing of this book make reading the text hard at points.


No comments:

Post a Comment